Sound of Belfast is an annual celebration of the music of the city. Established by the Oh Yeah Music Centre to showcase the talent that resides and moves through Belfast’s streets and studios, venues and homes, its mantra has always been ‘turning up the spotlight on our world-class talent’.
It is a blend of collaborative, independent and partnership events. A diverse combination of soundsand scenes all curated by the musicians, creatives, artists, promoters and venues involved.
Last year Sound of Belfast was delivered through a series of online events; This year live music is back on stages across the city. It will be a blended approach though, with some online content and streams combined with live shows and in person conversations and panels.
With over 50 events across 11 venues, the programme is bursting at the seams. As always you can take in a show (or several!), support your local music venue and artists, take part in a workshop, join a conversation or learn more about the business.
Events to look out for include:
· ‘True North’ the opening night at Oh Yeah includes a very special double-header Gareth Dunlop and Naomi Hamilton aka Jealous of The Birds. Earlier this year both artists were commissioned to write a piece about Belfast and what it means to them as musicians. An exclusive show from two of our most talented songwriters.
· NI Music Prize at the Ulster Hall on November 17th
· Music Cities Day presented by Music Connections.
· Breaking Into Music Youth Music Conference
· Magy’s Farm Collective live show at Oh Yeah with Niamh Murray, Clodagh May, Cara Quinn, Lara O’Donnell and Rhian Brownlow.
· In The Round with Ralph McLean at Empire Music Hall – featuring Siobhan Brown, Bernadette Morris, Cormac Neeson, Kate Nicholson.
· Rebekah Fitch at the Limelight.
· In store gigs at Starr Records.
· Scratch My Progress showcase with Lemonade Shoelace, Gender Chores, Vivamagnolia, Gilmore and Riley Holland.
· Getting to Know Henry Cluney ( XSLF) in association with Dig With It
· No Oil Paintings, Myles McCormack and Vivamagnolia at Oh Yeah.
· Rory Nellis at the Deers Head.
· Bangers N’ Mashups Mob Wife, Pop Superstar Sasha Samara, Electronic Wonk Pop FRUITY & More!
· The return of Acoustic Picnic family friendly at Oh Yeah
· Reevah at the Black Box
· Yeo Magazine launch with Winne Ama, Manukahunney Blue and DJ set from Brién.
· Volume Control all ages gigs, Clash of The New Breeds live final.
Sound of Belfast is powered by partners and collaborators and is supported by Arts Council Northern Ireland, Belfast City Council, YouTube Music, PRS Foundation, PPL, PRS, UK Music and Help Musicians.